Creation Date

1838

Decade

1830

Photographer

unknown

Subject

Jacksonville State University -- History, State Normal School (Jacksonville, Ala.) -- History, Taverns (Inns)

Preview

image preview

Description

The Old Tavern, originally known as The Brick Tavern, in Jacksonville, AL was built in 1838 and situated on the northeast corner of the Square. From 1880s to 1920s the Crow family operated a dry goods store in the front of the building while the back of the building was used as a rooming house for State Normal School girls. HABS photo by W.N. Manning January 1935. (circa 1838)

Date Digitized

August 2017

Rights

This image is the property of Jacksonville State University and is intended for non-commercial use. Images may be copied for research, teaching, personal, or any fair use as defined by U.S. copyright law. Images may not be altered in any way. Users of these images are asked to acknowledge Jacksonville State University. For questions or further information about usage rights, please contact the Library’s Electronic Resources Department at (256) 782-8195.

Location

The original printed photograph is housed in the Houston Cole Library Alabama Gallery, Box 1, Item 3.

Identifier

http://jsucollections.jsu.edu:9000/rpc/cat/Imaging/photocollection/psp/psp1830/PSP1830taverns_00003.tif

Technical Metadata

Archival images are tiffs scanned from the original material at 300 dpi. The file name is PSP1830taverns_00002.tif; file size is 6.9 MB. Original image is 8 by 10 on glossy photographic paper

Keywords

Jacksonville State University -- History, State Normal School (Jacksonville, Ala.) -- History, Taverns (Inns)

Share

 
COinS