Creation Date

1838

Decade

1830

Photographer

unknown

Subject

Jacksonville State University -- History, State Normal School (Jacksonville, Ala.) -- History, Taverns (Inns)

Preview

image preview

Description

The Old Tavern, originally known as The Brick Tavern, in Jacksonville, AL was built in 1838 and situated on the northeast corner of the Square. From 1880s to 1920s the Crow family operated a dry goods store in the front of the building while the back of the building was used as a rooming house for State Normal School girls. The original was courtesy of John B. Nisbet, Jr. HABS photo by W.N. Manning January 1935. (circa 1838)

Date Digitized

March 2021

Rights

Access to this image was generously provided by Anniston-Calhoun County Public Library, which holds the original materials. JSU has been granted the non-exclusive right to digitize and use the digital images for any non-commercial, institutional, research or teaching purpose. All other uses require permission from the rightsholder, Anniston-Calhoun County Public Library (108 East 10th St, Anniston, AL 36201 | 256.237.8501). Those seeking usage rights or photographic prints may contact Anniston-Calhoun County Public Library or digitalcommons@jsu.edu for more information.

Location

The original photograph is housed with the Anniston-Calhoun County Public Library, as part of the Crow Collection, Box 28D.

Identifier

http://jsucollections.jsu.edu:9000/rpc/cat/Imaging/photocollection/accpl/presentation/crow_photo_002.tif

Technical Metadata

Digital images were created from original materials owned by Anniston-Calhoun County Public Library; photos were scanned at 300dpi.”

Keywords

Jacksonville State University -- History, State Normal School (Jacksonville, Ala.) -- History, Taverns (Inns)

Share

 
COinS