Creation Date

1883

Decade

1880

Photographer

unknown

Subject

Jacksonville State University -- History, State Normal School (Jacksonville, Ala.) -- History, State Normal School (Jacksonville, Ala.) -- Buildings

Preview

image preview

Description

The State Normal School was established on February 22, 1883 as Gov. Edward O'Neal signed into law a bill. The new school acquired the facilities of Calhoun College, 12 acres of land and a two-story brick building, Atkins Hall. This building was built by the issuance of stock and valued at $16,000 when the property was given to the SNS in 1883. The building was also referred to as the former Calhoun County Courthouse. (circa 1883)

Date Digitized

August 2017

Rights

This image is the property of Jacksonville State University and is intended for non-commercial use. Images may be copied for research, teaching, personal, or any fair use as defined by U.S. copyright law. Images may not be altered in any way. Users of these images are asked to acknowledge Jacksonville State University. For questions or further information about usage rights, please contact the Library’s Electronic Resources Department at (256) 782-8195.

Location

The original printed photograph is housed in the Houston Cole Library Alabama Gallery, Box 1, Item 12.

Identifier

http://jsucollections.jsu.edu:9000/rpc/cat/Imaging/photocollection/psp/psp1880/PSP1880schoolbuildings_00012.tif

Technical Metadata

Archival images are tiffs scanned from the original material at 575 dpi. The file name is PSP1880schoolbuildings_00012.tif; file size is 10.3 MB. Original image is 4 by 6 on glossy photographic paper

Keywords

Jacksonville State University -- History, State Normal School (Jacksonville, Ala.) -- History, State Normal School (Jacksonville, Ala.) -- Buildings

Share

 
COinS